|Feeding clams onto the rollers|
- Feed from hopper to rollers is easy and fast
- Sorted product quickly and efficiently
- No breakage of clams - used extruded mesh bumpers in crates to minimize impact between clams
- Battery provided adequate power for an hour of sorting
- Wiring needs work: need to enclose battery, motor and wiring
- Motor had enough torque to drive the rollers except when both rollers fully loaded-probably from belt slip (need adjustable tensioner) not lack of torque
Overall, we are very pleased with the first field test. Tomorrow we'll take it out for a full-on harvest and see how it performs. In the mean time, we have ordered some connectors for the permanent wiring and will work on the motor mount and belt tensioning mechanism.